KopTalk.com
Posted By: Carheex Expectations? - 30/05/12 09:51 PM
Assuming Rodgers gets confirmed as our manager (anything can happen in the LFC circus so let's not count our chickens yet!), what would your expectations be for him and LFC next season? With no investment at all I'd expect us to be challenging for 6th place. With the right signings though, 5th shouldn't be out of our reach. Top 4 shouldn't even be mentioned - those spots WILL be taken up by city, chelsea, utd and arsenal. There is no reason why we can't leapfrog everton and newcastle but let's not expect anything more than that.
Posted By: Lfc-chris Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:04 PM
sorry man, i cant lower my expectation, it as to be 4th place, anything outside of that would be a step back from sacking kk, and i wanted kk gone. i think he might pull it off too,
Posted By: fazakerley red 1 Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:08 PM
to get closer to 4th points wise maybe flirt with 4th through the season and good runs in europe and the domestic cup would be massive progress from the low starting point liverpool are now at.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:09 PM
Win every single game
Posted By: fazakerley red 1 Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:11 PM
and to be miles better at anfield
Posted By: Welsh_Wizard Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:14 PM
We finished where we finished due to a very poor squad.
Not even Mourinho could have got our squad higher than Kenny did.

Rogers will do no better unless he makes signings to fit his style of playing.

He needs to get rid of the deadwood, Carragher, Spearing, Downing, and bring some players who will take on board his ideas and have the technical ability to carry them out.
Posted By: KingoftheKop Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:21 PM
Bit too early for this...

Lets wait until the end of the summer before we dump all sorts of absurd expectations on the new manager.
Posted By: Bohey1 Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:23 PM
Agree totally with you Carheex except for one point.

Chelsea and Arsenal are by no means safe in the top four.
If Hazard doesn't do the business than what has really changed for them? Nothing!

They have the exciting Marko Marin but he rarely scores even in the Bundesliga. They have lost Drogba, too and maybe that could set Torres free or give him an even smaller place to hide!

Of course they could splurge another 70m and then I'd say they were a shoe in again for top four.

As for Arsenal.... Just can't see RVP staying and if that is the case I think it is one too many super mega stars to have jumped ship for them to remain in the top four. RVP, Nasri, Cesc... it goes on and on with them!

And you just don't replace RVP unless you spend 30m on a player and when have Arse ever done that? Never!!!

As for Spurs? Splash some decent money and they are right in the mix but I could say the same for us! Buy three to four very good players and we could easily get back up there.

Lucas back fit and fresh. Hopefully (fingers crossed) SG staying fit all season and a proper RW and a high quality striker and we could have a good season indeed!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:23 PM
For me I don't know what to expect other than he done well with Swansea. I want to get back UCL obviously but I'm really expecting it. I won't be suprised if we finish about 6-7. They need to make some very good signings over the summer, I think if he finishes just short of 4th then he would do very very well. If back in the UCL he's the messiah and praise t he lord.

Good luck BR your gonna need it. And FSG if you have cocked up this decision boy you better sleep with one eye open. Because yo have over looked Rafa, someone without any doubt would put us in contention for the top 4 places.
Posted By: Carheex Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:24 PM
Originally Posted By: LFC-chris
sorry man, i cant lower my expectation, it as to be 4th place, anything outside of that would be a step back from sacking kk, and i wanted kk gone. i think he might pull it off too,

Ken's target of 4th was based on 3 factors:

1) his caretaker period at the club yielded enough points (pro-rata) to finish second in the premier league
2) he spent �115m to further increase his chances of CL qualification
3) a little naiveity on FSG's part of the task in hand

Rodgers will be starting with a clean slate and FSG will be a bit wiser as to what is required to break into the top 4. Furthermore he will be handicapped somewhat by the poor quality of squad that Dalglish left behind. If you're going to expect 4th from Rodgers in his first season then you WILL be mightily disappointed.
To achieve 4th we will need to improve by 4 positions and overtake either chelsea (european champions who have already spent more than we will be able to), or arsenal (wfinished 3rd last season). It's massively unrealistic and I'd bet good money that FSG have not told him that 4th is the expectation otherwise he'd have told them to 'dream on!', and get someone else to sack next summer.
Posted By: *** Suso *** Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:25 PM
top four or coming very close.
Posted By: Flames Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:26 PM
5th? wink
Posted By: Bohey1 Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:26 PM
Yes KP, but as we know, we weren't even close to fourth! If we were finishing 5th or 6th and missed out by 5-7 pts then they may have given him another chance.

8th (Crikey) and looking nowhere near 4th?

No alternative.

As for BR. Has to challenger for toop four for me and get pretty darn close if he fails!
Posted By: *** Suso *** Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:27 PM
Originally Posted By: flames
5th? wink
i was thinking 3rd bloody smart ass wink
Posted By: Stanley Park Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:27 PM
4th otherwise why get rid of king kenny unless its to improve the press conferences
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:27 PM
My expectations are, we will finish where we are meant to finish.
Posted By: Flames Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 10:27 PM
Originally Posted By: *** Suso ***
Originally Posted By: flames
5th? wink
i was thinking 3rd bloody smart ass wink

grin but not 2nd. too far away.
Posted By: LFCReds Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 11:29 PM
For me it is way too early to tell. Depends so much on changes to the current squad. How many current players will be sold? How much does the new boss get to spend this summer?

Regardless, I'm guessing FSG and the new boss will continue the company line "qualify for CL".
Posted By: Anxiety Re: Expectations? - 30/05/12 11:37 PM
Quite simple to see improvements.

If we are moving forward making progress then I'd be happy as eventually we will be back in the top group.
Posted By: ianrush81 Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 12:20 AM
Funny listening to all these people claiming fourth, not a chance in hell and I say that even if we had appointed any manager on earth, having said that I dont think Newcastle, Everton or Villa would either if they were in the same position.
Posted By: Kane Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 12:34 AM
Originally Posted By: ianrush81
Funny listening to all these people claiming fourth, not a chance in hell and I say that even if we had appointed any manager on earth, having said that I dont think Newcastle, Everton or Villa would either if they were in the same position.

Agree with you we have fallen too far now.Just gonna sit back put me feet up and expect nothing.
Posted By: VjS Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 12:40 AM
40+ points in Home games.
Improve the conversion rate from 9% to 15+ %
Beat the blues Home & Away
get rid of Cole,Adam if possible
Keep Aqua if you can

or

BEAT the scum HOME & AWAY

Too much expectation as usual..
Posted By: 79ceb Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 12:47 AM
it as to be a push for 4th place even if we lose out with 2 or 3 games to go and if not i fear we'll be in this same position next season. FSG seem to like looking for new managers
Posted By: dee11111 Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 12:48 AM
Off to a flyer at home, expansive football, pass an move, Lets do this Redmen, top 4 a must smile
Posted By: Hercules/AF 58 Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 01:21 AM
I expect FSG to give the new manager enough cash to buy at least 3 top quality players; a RW CD and Striker, a good creative midfielder would also be good. If they are not going to do that, why sack a manager for not making 4th, if they are not trying to achieve i4th place by adding to a squad that have proved they are just not up to it? If they are so football shy as to think all they have to do is sack a manager and hey presto, the new man will wave a wand and up we go to the top! If thats what they think, then we are back in Hicks and Gillet territory again!
Posted By: LFC legend Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 05:46 AM
Doubt that anyone on these forums would consider anything below 4th a successful season. 4th place is my expectation, at least. The league is still a few seasons out. Why would we change managers and all the other changes we have made just to be in the same place as the year before?
Posted By: liverpoolmorgan Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 06:10 AM
We are Liverpool Football Club and we should never be aiming for fifth or sixth or even fourth. We should always be aiming for the top. While this may be ambitious, this is what our club is all about. We had a poor season, but when you look at the points dropped at home and the chances we created in those games, we are not as bad as people make us out. To drop over 30 points at home is incredible, and it is easy to think of games we lost or drew that could easily have been turned into wins. 17 points more would have put us into the top 4. We had one of the best defensive records last year. Another striker and who knows what we could do? The foundations are there
Posted By: Andred Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 07:06 AM
Realistically 3rd - 5th though as above Liverpool of old always aimed fer top spot! Also we should play sexy pass n move football and win every game...not much of an ask then.
Posted By: Sahl Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 08:52 AM
To do better than Kenny.
Posted By: Anxiety Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 11:14 AM
Lets get real, we are not going to challenge for the league.....yet.

but be patient and lets climb that table.
Posted By: Carheex Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 06:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Andred
Realistically 3rd - 5th though as above Liverpool of old always aimed fer top spot! Also we should play sexy pass n move football and win every game...not much of an ask then.

That really isn't realistic at all. Aiming for top spot isnt the same as expecting to get it. I'm sure all teams 'aim' to win the premier league but only 1 or 2 expect to win it.
Let's look at your middle figure and discuss whether 4th is realistic. Has Rodgers got the experience and have we got the money/players, to overtake everton, newcastle, chelsea and spurs? Don't forget, whilst we'll be trying to improve our team so will they. None of those clubs are rebuilding - they are much more settled and will be tweaking whereas we are in desperate need of wholesale changes throughout the whole club.
Still think 3rd-5th is realistic?
Posted By: Brian Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 10:14 PM
I forsee that if we are mid-table by end mid season the muppets will be calling for BR's head
Posted By: EMP Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 11:02 PM
well it would be exactly like this season , so yes probably will happen.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Expectations? - 31/05/12 11:13 PM
Originally Posted By: CarheeX
Originally Posted By: Andred

That really isn't realistic at all. Aiming for top spot isnt the same as expecting to get it. I'm sure all teams 'aim' to win the premier league but only 1 or 2 expect to win it.
Let's look at your middle figure and discuss whether 4th is realistic. Has Rodgers got the experience and have we got the money/players, to overtake everton, newcastle, chelsea and spurs? Don't forget, whilst we'll be trying to improve our team so will they. None of those clubs are rebuilding - they are much more settled and will be tweaking whereas we are in desperate need of wholesale changes throughout the whole club.
Still think 3rd-5th is realistic?

Hmm, if Chelsea do not rebuild they will be in trouble. Essien, Terry, Lampard, Cashley, Malouda, Bosingwa will all be 30+ next season (and Ivanovich 29) - that's a lot of old guys. We think we're decaying with SG, Carra, Kuyt, Bellamy, but only 1 of those is a regular first team player, while in Chelsea's case those ARE Chelsea. They will certainly sign more talent, but I'm not sure there's a quick fix there, especially if they're focussing on signing forwards to replace Drogba and Anelka. And what are Spurs without Modric and Adebayor? Arsenal without v. Persie? One-man teams, and the man may move or get injured.

But I agree with the post in general. The LFC expectation has largely become a "hope". We "need" or "hope" to finish in the top 4 rather than we "expect" to.

My expectation under Rodgers is that we will play more like a team, that we will have a best XI and a preferred tactic and that we will use them. Given that our failure to do these are things this season allowed us to handicapped ourselves to the tune of 8th place, silverware and another cup final, I expect we will challenge for 5th. If we adapt sufficiently quickly, I expect we will go deep in the EL as well and maybe still be in the fight for 4th come April/May rather than Jan. But in all honesty, unless we sign a new player or two that are able to make the team "click", I expect us to miss the CL again, just by a far smaller margin than this season.
Posted By: Rhodan Re: Expectations? - 01/06/12 04:07 AM
Minimum has to be 4th ... otherwise what was the point of sacking Kenny and paying out all these golden hand shakes??
Posted By: DBS Re: Expectations? - 01/06/12 04:14 AM
I hope we can finish top four but I prepared to be patient can't keep changing all the time as long as we stop the rot and don't go backwards ill be happy
Posted By: Snakeye Re: Expectations? - 01/06/12 11:59 AM
As I mentioned in the other thread, my expectations are low at the moment. I don't think we will break into the champions league sadly, far from it. We have been sliding over the years so I wouldn't be surprised if we finished around 8 or lower. Lets hope we avoid the drop.
Posted By: ianrush81 Re: Expectations? - 01/06/12 01:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Rhodan
Minimum has to be 4th ... otherwise what was the point of sacking Kenny and paying out all these golden hand shakes??
The point of sacking Dalglish was that if he was manager next season the liklihood was that we would be relegated as from January onwards we were in the bottom three teams with nothing at all to suggest we would be better next season, this is was the point and now we have been given a chance to stop that decline by gambling on a new manager, a gamble has to be better than certain relegation would'nt you agree.
© KopTalk Forums