Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
F
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
F
Originally Posted By: AvailableOnAFree
Resting some of our best players makes sense, but I'm not sure if resting all of them is a wise move.

On the bright side, good to see Coates getting a game and Shelvey continuing his run in the first team. Rather see those two than Carra and Adam. Nice that Maxi is getting a chance as well. He's been under-utilized this year.
i agree and thats why i say if saturday is a defeat the dalglish should and must be moved on as the league games are now meaningless tonight has proved this

S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
Well we won on one front and we are still fighting on another front.

What's that saying: 2 out of 3 aint bad.

1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
off to the gym to watch this on the treadmill.

F
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
F
Originally Posted By: Shaggydog
Well we won on one front and we are still fighting on another front.

What's that saying: 2 out of 3 aint bad.
ha ha ha just forget the most important then ha ha

S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
Well you have to admit that you walked straight into that. grin

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
One time,
One time,
In '95
We won it one time

(supposedly provocative text from a friend of mine)

Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
Get in

T
thundyr
Unregistered
thundyr
Unregistered
T
All I'm going to say is "What an amazing game of football!"

S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
Did anyone notice that Kenny looked as though he had just had a great weight lifted off his shoulders in the interview after the game.

T
thundyr
Unregistered
thundyr
Unregistered
T
Originally Posted By: Shaggydog
Did anyone notice that Kenny looked as though he had just had a great weight lifted off his shoulders in the interview after the game.

Hardly surprising that - he finally got a win. But his headaches haven't finished - Jones did not look confident in goal, though he had a few good moments. I'm sure Everton will give him a far more difficult outing. What I can't work out is - he called Yakubu's bluff with the first peno by standing still, so why didn't he do it again for the second? That one was also poorly hit.

But when I saw 4-5-1 again I felt like getting upset. Then I saw that Maxi and Bellamy had started, and Hendo was playing more defensively. I was also pleased to see Johnson on the field - we could have a "proper" back 4 for the semi, even if we have a stand-in keeper. So I thought, "Well this at least looks like a better attempt, because Maxi steals goals and Bellamy is excellent on the right." And so it proved.

But Flanagan definitely lost it after the first yellow, and was lucky to not be sent off for the worse challenge on Hoilett. I think the fact that Hoilett shot straight to his feet after playing dead convinced the ref to give a warning rather than a red card. In the end he gave Doni the red, and Kenny was right to take him off. He's been poor this season more than he's been good, and he probably needs a loan spell. Problem is that Johnson and Kelly can't seem to stay fit, which is worrying.

Henderson actually had a decent game, I thought. He did have some rather too defensive moves, but he also went straight past the left back once or twice and delivered a decent cross or two. He was a bit lacking at RB as can be understood, but he was better than Flanagan!

And yeah, I've been hard on Shelvey of late, but he looked much better as an attacking mid - he's been deployed deeper and hasn't looked the part. I think switching Hendo and Shelvey around made a big difference to both players.

Skrtel and Coates had decent games too, I thought, though Coates should have been tracking back when Jones had his kick blocked. It might not have made a difference, but it would have made the reasoning behind the yellow card (rather than red) a bit more obvious to the media.

And of course a word for Carroll. He didn't start off well, losing possession a bit, but he had a very good game and deserved to score the dramatic winner. He's not yet there as a big defender yet - he was in the wrong place to cover Yakubu for the goal, and also almost put through our net - but then it was his calmness that allowed Skrtel time to pick out Bellamy for our first goal. Man of the match for me, even though Maxi picked up a brace (the second of which he made look much easier than it was).

Maybe we're learning some of the lessons? Bellamy on the right, Henderson more defensive (I've been saying for a long time he doesn't get enough credit for his play when we don't have the ball), Shelvey more attacking (though in truth Gerrard is usually on the pitch). I really wasn't sure about the CBs switching positions, but maybe that was to cover Hoilett? I don't think Kenny appreciated how much trouble the Olsens would cause Flanagan, but in truth they weren't as effective once Flano was gone, so maybe it was just because he became flustered and was all thumbs thereafter.

And most of all, once again we showed great commitment and spirit throughout the game - much more like a Liverpool side, continuing on from the way we played in the second half against Villa. I would have said the same had we lost. I think we'll struggle against Everton, but I've got some faith back after our last two performances. Not because we played better, but because we looked like we came to play and we gave our all. Keep doing that and the results will come in time.

Whew! Wrote much more than I intended.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion