Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#451314 22/11/14 07:19 PM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By: TheKopProphet
Originally Posted By: Shaggydog

HAHA I have always admired your optimism KP and a lot of it makes perfect sense but it's hard to see any way out of our present slump. The collapse compared to last season is shocking and putting it all down to Suarez gives the others an excuse.

The team has been shocking this year and they are to blame for that and no one else.

Back to dreading the weekends again.

Not sure I'd call it optimism but more reasonableness perhaps. I get just as frustrated and criticise as much as the next man - what I disagree with is the 'rip up the script and start again' mentality that a lot of people resort to at the first time of trouble.

Newcastle fans were having a massive campaign for Pardew out a few weeks ago - now they've just gone fourth. They haven't bought any new players - not even changed their team that much - something has just clicked. Pardew seems to have sussed out the issues and the team is picking up points (5 ahead of us!). Now almost everyone thought Pardew was a gonner - and the consensus was 'rip up the script and start again' - new manager and fire sale of players. But the owner (and I'm no fan) thought it was reasonable to give his manager more time - just as FSG are currently allowing BR to sort out his mess. It may be the correct decision - it may not work out - Newcastle might even slump again and plummet. The question is - when is it the correct time to make a sweeping change? I don't think FSG will sack BR until we start falling out of competitions (especially the CL) - and even then they may give him another chance since he got us there in the first place. If we're lingering in the relegation zone by xmas - out of the CL and one or two cups - then I think they might act. Of course, people may argue - why leave it so late? But there is no guarantee that a quick change of manager (especially given who's available) would not land us in the bottom half either.

Do you believe we are going to turn a corner with BR in the next 3 games? After that it will be too late for CL

H
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
H
Originally Posted By: Ninja Skrtel
Originally Posted By: Stanley Park
Whilst I don't disagree with the notion of performance related pay there is something seriously wrong with the game if we have to offer financial bribes to get players to try

I believe that the entire world functions like this. The harder you work and the better the quality of your work, the higher your salary.

Yes nothing wrong with incentive, however it's mind boggling to believe that we'd implement incentives when we deliberately target young prospects! By definition they're unable to perform at the level where they'd trigger an incentive payment (unless we're setting the bar somewhere between poor and fairly poor!)incentive payment would make sense ok if we we're buying quality, but we're not and it's therefore just another level of silliness.

#451345 22/11/14 10:48 PM
H
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
H
Originally Posted By: sixtiesred
We will never be in the top 4 regularly while the balance of signings is in favour of the young unproven potential instead of top proven class untill that changes we will be down and round about but not where we all desire to be wining titles and competing in the cl on a competitive level ! said it for f ucking year upon year !
this is what has to change for us to progress its as plain as dog balls to see
And to make things worse UTD just got in the top four ffs

Yes, plain for all to see the clubs that buy quality generally stay around the top level. For a while some on here were saying we couldn't afford to compete with the Chelsea's, United's, city's, etc. but that's been shown to be mistaken, as we've spent 212m under Rodgers following the prospect's policy. Had we not been constrained to follow that policy we'd likely have signed 4 or 5 proven quality players, and think what difference that would have made to our performances now?

#451349 22/11/14 11:03 PM
S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
We will never be in the top 4 regularly while the balance of signings is in favour of the young unproven potential instead of top proven class untill that changes we will be down and round about but not where we all desire to be wining titles and competing in the cl on a competitive level ! said it for f ucking year upon year !

Southampton and Newcastle are doing alright with young unproven potential... they didn't sign any big names either!

All that tells us, is that their scouting systems are better than ours.

#451373 23/11/14 11:15 AM
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend

Southampton and Newcastle are doing alright with young unproven potential... they didn't sign any big names either!

Short term anything can happen medium to long term the teams with the quality players dominate and Unfortunetly for FSG that means investing in the big name players but it's not going to happen as FSG are not interested in winning trophies only protecting the brand within their window for selling say next five years the brand will hold up whatever we do.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By: Stanley Park

Short term anything can happen medium to long term the teams with the quality players dominate and Unfortunetly for FSG that means investing in the big name players but it's not going to happen as FSG are not interested in winning trophies only protecting the brand within their window for selling say next five years the brand will hold up whatever we do.

And how should we go about FFP do you reckon? Otherwise the best way to protect the brand, you need to be successful on the pitch no?

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
It depends on your objective Vish is FSG are planning to sell say in the next few years being succesful, on the pitch is not critical as long as we are broadly in contention for the champions league. Liverpool even today is a huge club supporting wise and following. It will take ten years or more for that to significantly errode to the degree where it will affect the sale price. So broadly where we are today with the odd cup win will be just fine. I only follow liverpool out if habit these the whole thing is completely pointless to me

V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
Well if FSG are following that strategy, then I personally think they might be out on very thin ice.

There's not much separating us from Soton, Man U, Spuds, West Ham, Newcastle, Arsenal, Swansea, Everton and Stoke.

If they decide to splash £ 120 M on 9 hopefuls and think that is better value for money than buing 2-3 quality players, then it might come up and bite them in the ass much sooner than in 5-10 years time. frown

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By: van Gogh
Well if FSG are following that strategy, then I personally think they might be out on very thin ice.

There's not much separating us from Soton, Man U, Spuds, West Ham, Newcastle, Arsenal, Swansea, Everton and Stoke.

If they decide to splash £ 120 M on 9 hopefuls and think that is better value for money than buing 2-3 quality players, then it might come up and bite them in the ass much sooner than in 5-10 years time. frown

FSG will be gone within 2 to 5 years I guarantee it

V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
Yes, I agree.

But my point is that LFC might be in big trouble even before that.

I can see us ending around 14:th 15:th this season. Might even find ourselves in a relegation battle if things don't pick up soon! frown

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion